Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"Push the mute now"

Song Title: Remote Control
Album: TP3:Reloaded, 2005

Full Verse:
Push audio mode now..
Push gettin to loud now..
Push slow mode now..
Push the mute now...

Ah, Remote Control. One of my favorite R. Kelly songs. It deserves not just one post, but this post too and many many more to come.

In this song, R. somehow makes this inanimate object really sexy. He out does himself in clever sexaphors. For example: "Baby push the down arrow now we'll go down low". But there is one thing about this song that I didn't notice at first, what with all the sexy button pushing. Now, on second glance, I'm seeing some relationship issues peaking through the sexiness and can't help but want to discuss that. Because, of course, I'm always wanting to know more about the real R., and how he does in relationships. (hint: not that well).

So throughout the song he's basically ordering his lady around, giving her very specific instructions on how to use the remote. First he wants her to go to the audio mode, then he thinks its too loud, then he wants it slower (not sure what that means, is that like quieter?) then he decides he doesn't want any noise at all and wants her to put it on mute.

Kinda makes you wonder if even R. Kelly isn't above the typical remote control fight most couples experience. Which is nice to know, that my own little spats about channel surfing verses just settling on Iron Chef that end in me leaving the house and walking around the neighborhood for two hours in a blind rage are just par for the course. I mean, if R. Kelly is going to be overly controlling of the remote control, then how can I expect someone I'm dating to do any better?

3 comments:

Luly said...

Hey you know what I really like about this blog? Is that now that we put that picture up of R. Kelly on the left hand side, where he's looking out a window, it always looks like he's looking at our posts!

And his facial expression kind of changes depending on the post. Like in the previous post, the Mariah one, it looked like he was checking her out. Now with this post, it looks like he's watching that white couple and thinking, 'those two have issues!' Or maybe he's thinking, 'that is one unsexy couple'. Or maybe, 'I hate them because I hate myself'.

You can read a lot into that photo.

Kelly Sharp said...

I think R. Kelly has a love/hate relationship with the noises women make during sex. He's always like, "yeah, we're doing it, yeah" and then he's like, "Gawd, just shut up! Stop screaming so loud!"

It speaks to his own inner turmoil more poignantly than perhaps even the IHOP struggle.

R&BFan1988 said...

When commercials come on, Luly mutes them and then chats with you. It's probably my favorite way to watch TV.

 

fentanyl