Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Hit the mall bout two o'clock"

Song Title: Mo' Money
Album: Unfinished Business, 2004


Full Verse:

We take lunch, now twelve o'clock

Hit the mall bout two o'clock

In the movies bout five o'clock
Seven o'clock 'til nine o'clock
we in my crib, my bed, goin non-stop

This little verse is only striking if you take it in context of the whole song. Which, as you may be able to guess from the title and/or the fact that R. Kelly wrote it, is all about how much money R. has. But in this particular song about how rich R. is, he's not so much bragging about it as he is giving us a little day-in-the-life synopsis.

And what interested me was how quite normal this day sounds. Lunch at noon? That's damn respectable, where I come from. If I was rich I'd probably sleep in every day and have breakfast at noon. Hit the mall? How nice that R. hasn't lost touch with the average man. Go see a movie? That's what I do too! And then do it for two hours? Non stop? Well, this IS R. Kelly we're talking about. The guy could only go for so long without going home to do it.

1 comment:

Kelly Sharp said...

All night long is not a reasonable promise. But two hours STRAIGHT, non-stop, is totally something R. Kelly can manage.

I mean, hell, he's had all day to eat lunch, relax, go shopping.

 

fentanyl